Friday, January 15, 2010

5-Year Plan

New Year's resolutions are not enough: I am formulating a five-year plan. I have given myself to the end of January 2010 to design it. I plan to buy a Levenger (great notebook source) 5-Year Diary, so every day will show me not only where I am but where I'm heading.

My last 5-year plan (1980) had a single goal "get a job in the fire service." I accomplished that one in 4 years. Published a book on arson in 1982, joined the Bellport Fire Dept. as a volunteer in 1982; became an editor with the NY Fire Dept. --temp, 1983; full-time, 1984.

What does a five-year plan have to do with Grace at War? Everything! For 2010: have at least 10 queries out at all times; sell the book. See it in print by 2012. Meanwhile, get the new novel ready to send out before November 2010.

I'll post my progress!

3 comments:

  1. good goals Mom! 5-year plans have been a staple of Chinese economists for a long time. I know yours will be more succesful! I should come up with one too.
    Good job multitasking with writing a new novel while trying to sell the current one. I hear that publishers always like to hear what your next project is. Go Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ben! I have had unstated goals for a long time but it feels good to state them and then post for all to see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The power of intention is strong in this one. I'm on your side. Mary

    ReplyDelete