Monday, December 21, 2009

Flamingo Poem

For Christmas I wrote a friend a poem. Then I thought blog readers might enjoy it too. So today, thinking of David, who always celebrated the Solstice, and is still doing so as part of the Universe, I suspect, here is a poem about light.

November Evening at the National Zoo

Thin grey light sifts through paddock and cage.
Locks snap shut.
Visitors hurry to the gates, while
wild deer watch in the shadows.

You and I are lost. Again.
Another wrong turn, another mis-read map and
we circle the locked bird house, a dead-end.
Then, just ahead, a vivid cacophony calls us.

On a wave of joy we surge forward.
Dazzled, we drown in a shimmering
flood of flame-pink flamingos,
aglow from within.

At last, surfeited and sure-footed
we find the path to the gate
Pass through it into the dark.

Incandescent.

—Susan Moger

3 comments:

  1. Nice, mom. Is that based on a true story? I feel like it could be from a visitor's pov, or else some other animal trying to get out... I'm sure David would have liked it

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was what happened to my friend and I at the zoo--still working on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good start on the poem this will be - you know. I wonder about third stanza and what would happen if the words forward and shimmering or surge and flood or some combination were lost, moved, mixed up a bit, lost?

    ReplyDelete